The idea of becoming more environmentally friendly is one that we are confronted with increasingly more.
At the forefront of changes to our culture is the ethos that small changes add up to big differences. It is easy to become overwhelmed with all the ideas of immediate changes we can make to live our lives in a more planet friendly way but the reality is that this is unachievable to all but the most dedicated ‘sustainers’.
The key takeaway from all the messaging is not to beat ourselves up for not changing everything instantly overnight. By making smaller commitments, i.e changing one thing every month, this can lead to significant changes to our habits over a year.
Some key tips that can help us to live sustainably:
- When making a purchase stop to ask yourself, do you really need this? Is there something more local? Is there something you already own that you could repurpose? Is there a more environmentally friendly alternative? We all know it can be easy to buy things on impulse.
- Using your local councils’ website, make a list of key things that can recycled and keep it next your bins to make it easier to know what you can recycle and to remind you to do so.
- Use meal plans to try and cut down on food waste.
- Get an electricity or water metre fitted – by becoming aware of exactly what we are paying for and using it could help to identify areas where you could cut back on energy usage.
- And our absolute favourite – read sustainably by taking out a subscription with Rereadable! 😊 😊